Sunday 4 August 2013

Me & Running

I'm going to get straight to the point with this, I don't like running!! 

But in my job I try to get people to go down the right path to reach their goals and how could I tell someone to reach their goal they have to run if I won't run?? So with my clients Amy Tew, Joanne Williams and Nicola Moore I have learned while they are training with me to learn to like running and get used to it.

So today after all my training runs with Joanne, Nicola and Amy I attempted my first competitive race 'the north Wales beach mountain half marathon' and much to my surprise I actually enjoyed my run.
My self and Joanne got to mile 7 with ease BUT then we hit sucnant pass!!! This was a continuous climb for 3 miles and a mile high!!!! This is where Joanne wanted to ACTUALLY PUNCH ME!!!
I was grateful to Llinos Evans for joining in at the top of the pass or I don't think I would have made it off the top of the mountain with Jo... 

From this point on the race became a fell race on awkward terrain up and down hills (did not expect this) but the three of us gritted our teeth and got from the top to the finish line battling the negative thoughts in our minds to get the job DONE! 

Thank you to everyone that supported us today!! And a special thank you to Amy, Wendy and becca for driving around keeping us topped up with sweets and water and Llinos for joining in with me and Jo. 

My observations on running...
A reoccurring theme happens and it seems to be what you tell yourself while your running... You really do have to have a strong mind to run a long distance! The moment you let the thoughts of "it's hard" "I can't do this" "why did I do this" pop into your mind you will struggle to break that cycle of thoughts! 
And rather than fighting the miles you will be fighting your mind and body! (Becoming emotional)

I have also learned that there is out of breath and panic breathing... You may think "this is hard" and feel out of breath but again you should check your mind state and question am I really out of breath or am I anxious or panicking 
A quick fix of your mental state should fix this.

There are a few things I think people should be aware of while running and that is from my experience with my own body is it hammers your joints from the feet up to the hips and to look after the muscles that act on all these areas you can't avoid lots of serious stretching (don't let anyone tell you stretching is for wuses) that is probably because they can't be bothered! 

Personally I have to stretch 3 areas my glutes (bum), hamstrings and hip flexors!
And I'm ready for action again! 

No comments:

Post a Comment